Saturday, June 23, 2007

Grandma's Chocolate Cake

I thought about my grandma a lot yesterday. Jeff had invited some friends over for hamburgers and what better reason to make a chocolate cake? When my grandma passed away several months ago, I inherited her double boiler (that's basically two sauce pans for those of you who are cullinary-challenged) and her large yellow mixing bowl. Grandma was the best chocolate cake baker I ever knew. I've used her recipe on many occasions, but yesterday was different. Not only did I have her recipe, I also had the very pans and bowl that had been used so many, many times in her kitchen. With each step, I could imagine her standing next to me, giving me little bits of advice and lots of praise. It will come as no surprise to you that the result was the BEST chocolate cake I've ever baked. I hope that when I'm gone, Lauren will want my pans and bowl and Grandma's recipe.

3 comments:

Wilma said...

That was so sweet! I cried all the way through it. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Terry Rush said...

Lita,

One of the reasons I am so proud of you is you notice the abundant life around you right now. So many miss it looking for it.

The double-boiler and the yellow mixing bowl. What treasures from one who remains a treasure in your heart.

I so love you every day!

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed. A good cry. I have been missing my grandma lately and she has been gone since 1990.