Saturday, November 08, 2008

Liam Update

I received this email from Dan and Kathy today. I started to forward it to those I know are following his recovery, but realized there may be other readers of my blog that might gain encouragement from reading it:

To All Who Have Loved Us,

Today, November 7th, is the two month anniversary for Liam’s fall and God has done amazing things. One may ask, “Where is God?” when things seemingly go all wrong. But I confess — no I proclaim — that we are never alone. He is always near.

Liam’s fall severely damaged his kidney, lacerated his spleen, most likely bruised his pancreas, and most definitely broke both his arms. He fell because he reached too far without really thinking about what he was doing. Falling just under 20 feet, he landed with his head inches away from life-threatening rock and concrete. He sustained no external injury.

Liam vomited the majority of his thirty-one days in the hospital – some days continuously and several times pure blood. He endured countless pokes, prods and invasive procedures, and continuously battled with the “fairness” of it all. “Why me?” “Why did I have to jump?” “It’s not fair!” His mental and emotional anguish was as hard to endure as his physical – extremely hard for a father and mother to witness. Couldn’t we have his pain?!

Liam faced death one night. Physically, he was having an anxiety attack. His body seized to point of near suffocation, and with gasping breath he said, “I feel like I’m slipping away. I don’t want to slip away.” His nurses’ quick reaction made his slipping away highly unlikely, but for Liam – and for his dad – it was a very real, emotional, and spiritual moment of reckoning. What if I die? What if he dies?

So where was God in all this? Paul says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28) Do we know?

Here’s what I know...

  1. Liam is still alive and in my life. A few inches and he could very well have been gone, physically or mentally. I believe God protected him as he fell.
  2. Liam received and is receiving excellent, knowledgeable, skilled care from the many wonderful people who give their lives everyday to help those whose lives, for however long, are going all wrong. I believe God has called these people and given them a special love in their hearts, whether they recognize Him or not.
  3. Everyday our clothes were clean, our house was clean, and there was warm food prepared, all waiting for us at home by the hands of loving brothers and sisters in Christ. I believe God was using those who would allow Him to demonstrate His love through them to tell us He was near.
  4. Get-Well-Cards, posters, letters of love and even money to cover meals and gas came almost daily. I believe with each one God was sending His message to us, “Hold on. I’ve not left you.”
  5. As the bills started coming in and thousands mounted upon thousands with no insurance to help, SoonerCare cards and promise of help from St. Francis’s charitable foundation came in the mail. I believe God has told us once again, “There is nothing too big for me.”
  6. Liam’s arms are healed. His spleen is almost completely whole again, and his kidney’s are healing ahead of schedule. I believe God has heard the thousands of prayers lifted up for Liam and answered resoundingly.
  7. Liam will one day die, and so will I. I believe because of Jesus I will see God. And I’ll be able to say thank you...for everything.

All things don’t happen because of God. Sometimes things happen because we reach too far, too sure of ourselves. But, I know that in all things God works. And I know this because I believe.

Thank you for allowing God to use you for His purpose. We have seen Him through you.

With His Love,
Dan and Kathy

No comments: