Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

There's just something about the holidays. Not always in a good way. This year there was some "discussion" on where the family was going to have Thanksgiving dinner. Without going into detail, it was decided that we wouldn't shake things up and just leave well enough alone. Since we are all spending Christmas with my family this year, Jeremy & Trista wanted to spend a good deal of time with her family for Thanksgiving. I'm a good sport (I think), so...no problem. For several years now, I have cooked the traditional turkey dinner, then later in the evening, we go to Neal's folks. I usually have the same feeling after the meal...all that work for a 20 minute meal??? I mean, if I had a kitchen full of women, like I remember from the old days at home, it would be kinda fun. Even clean-up wouldn't be so bad. But to do it alone is...well...work. To be honest, I think the meal itself is more for me. I can be pretty traditional and set in my ways, and Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same without turkey and dressing. Yesterday, there were three of us to eat...Neal, Jeff and me. Neal and Jeff are not traditional, nostalgic, nor are they really "into" food, per se. Sure, they both said, "that was really good, Mom." But they would have been equally happy with deer steak, biscuits and gravy. Remind me of this next year.

Jeremy and Jacob came over early in the day to help Neal find his slain deer in the woods. Jacob wanted to help me in the kitchen (maybe he'll be my reason to keep up the tradition in the future) so I agreed that he could set the table.

I've mentioned before his tendency toward perfectionism. Each piece of flatware was spaced precisely the same distance apart, and I had to re-fold one of the napkins because he said the corners didn't match up!


I'm strongly considering NOT decorating for Christmas, for several reasons.

1. It's only 3 weeks until the big day. (Again...all that work for 3 measly weeks? Then turn right around and put it all away?)
2. I'm still tired from being in the kitchen all day yesterday.
3. We have no money to buy presents. (Poor, poor me. Do you see a pattern here?)
4. We will be traveling on Christmas Day--the one bright spot--seeing all my family.
5. No one else in my family is remotely interested in Christmas decor.

Am I just being a Scrooge? Am I having a pity-party? Do I have the Holiday Blues?
Yes, yes, and yes.

6 comments:

bailey said...

I love Christmas time, but I HATE putting up the decorations just to have to take them back down so soon. I think putting up a Christmas tree is so overrated. Don't give in!

Anonymous said...

No decorating for Christmas here either!! Doesn't bother me a bit!!

JeanetteLivingston said...

Lita, I feel the same way. Why bother? I would rather go out of town for Christmas.

jessica said...

I think the point of putting up Christmas decor., in my family anyway, is just another chance to make memories together. Maybe it would be more enjoyable and worth while if you invited your sweet grand children over to "help" and make an event out of it.

Unknown said...

Jessica, I'll remind you of that suggestion when you have grandchildren.

jessica said...

Helping my grandparents decorate for Christmas is one of my favorite memories as a child. Maybe I'm old-fashioned or maybe I'm just at a different time in my life but it is a plessant and reflective time for me. To see where we were each year past and how far we've come over the years is enjoyable to me.

I'm curious, are you going to decorate or not?